What is a press kit?
Back in the day, it was a packet you mailed to journalists. Then, we faxed them. Now they are on a page on your website specifically for media people who want to interview you. This can be a PDF as well.
Why have a press kit?
- Makes it easier to interview you
- Makes the interview go well
- Creates more media opportunities
- Makes PR outreach more effective
- Gets you in media more
Who looks for press kits?
- Journalist (magazines and newspapers)
- Tv producers
- Radio show host
Where to put your press kit?
- On websites footer
- In your main navigation, perhaps not
- Add link in about page
What a press kit should contain?
- High resolution images (logo, headshots, book covers, etc)
- Can show bit of personality here as it’s going to be more than one shot
- Extended bio (not speaking bio)
- Give details here
- FAQ/Suggested interview questions
- show topics
- press contact information and contact form
- your phone number
- Google voice number (voice.google.com)
- Social media links
- Twitter is big for journalists
- Recent press kit
- Press mentions
- Speaking appearances
- Links to interview